Tuesday, August 24, 2010

NM2208: PRINCIPLES OF VISUAL COMMUNICATION

I've been letting my blog be an avenue for school work.
This is getting bad.
Why do i want school work in my personal life? gahhhhh

So i am currently taking a design module this semester which requires me to document my creative thoughts and evolutions of my designs.

Assignment 1 goes like this:

-> Select 2 words which best describes your character

-> Develop 4 design concepts for each sentence


I love so many things; but not everything is easy to draw or is easy to conceptualize with my name, so here is what i've chosen


MY NAME IS LIZ AND I LOVE PRINT PATTERNS


For those who do not know what print patterns are, they are basically a print whereby the design it repeatedly stamped all over the "subject", thus forming a repeated pattern.


Design 1:

I decided to embody the theme of sun. The idea of a bright sunny weather where there are rainbows, birds. And other more quirky prints like UFOs and planes.


The idea here is a rough sketch.

I was intending to add in bright pop art colours to make it really cement together nicely. As a very happy, vibrant design that is something representative of print patterns.


Design 2:

I like this design better as compared to the previous one.

The idea is that it will be 3D in CG, and each 3D face will have a different print patterns.

It would then later be filled in with bold outstanding colours to have the "in-your-face" effect.

Ah, but i dont know if the NM department will accept this since my tutor showed some apprehension in the design concept.

But i really do love print patterns. ):



NEXT:

MY NAME IS LIZ AND I LOVE YOGA


For those artists out there, please do not look at this piece of art work and scorn at it because i cannot draw. I hate drawing body silouhettes and i have no sense of proportion at all. I cant even draw a straight line without a ruler. (or sometimes, maybe even with a ruler)

You know, during the "neoprints" days where you and your bunch of friends would have to stand outside the neoprint machines to cut out the stickers? Yeah, my friends always refused to let me touch the neoprints. Evidently, because i cannot cut straight either.


Design 1:

I quite like the simplicity of these 3 drawings. Although i never intended for it to be in seperate boxes, my tutorial mates seem to prefer it in 3 seperate boxes, as though it were telling a story.


The boxes were merely for my references. (Esp since i cant draw straight)

But i am thankful for that comment, i might look further into how i can add in different backdrops for the different yoga poses maybe?

Or have them all in the same setting. (i.e yoga room, beach, etc)


P.S. the first girl is merely putting her two hands together, saying namaste, and not touching her boobs.


Design 2:

I am quite embarrased of this design becuase it was done veyr haphazardly, with my eyes half closed and with my head against the couch.

And the more i look at it, the more i think i am going to scrape this idea. My tutorial mates had no comments to say about this. I assumed it was because it was really "un-commentable".


But basically; the design concept around this is that the gaps will be filled with yoga poses. My name is outlined in a dotted line because it will be erased, in order to allow the yoga poses to form the word "LIZ".

get it get it? haha

This module is really interesting but it really stresses the hell out of me. Esp since one of my tutorial mates already completed the work and seems to be a professional Adobe software user stuck in the body of a university student.

My tutorial mates also seem to prefer my yoga designs. Sometimes, people also prefer the designs that you do not personally favour as much right?

Designer woes, im starting to know how it feels.


No comments: